Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 18, 2020

ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS

 A memorable example of how body language can sometimes be more 

truthful than verbal language involved the rape of a young woman on the 

Parker Indian Reservation in Arizona. A suspect in the case was brought 

in for questioning. His words sounded convincing and his story was plau-

sible. He claimed he hadn’t seen the victim and while out in a field had 

gone down a row of cotton, turned left, and then walked straight to his 

house. While my colleagues jotted down notes about what they were 

hearing, I kept my eyes on the suspect and saw that as he told the story 

about turning left and going home, his hand gestured to his right, which 

was exactly the direction that led to the rape scene. If I hadn’t been 

watching him, I wouldn’t have caught the discrepancy between his verbal 

(“I went left”) and nonverbal (hand gesturing to the right) behavior. But 

once I saw it I suspected he was lying. I waited a while and then con-

fronted him again, and in the end he confessed to the crime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

चर्म रोग किस विटामिन की कमी से होता है?

चर्मरोग ,  आजकल कई लोगों को चर्म रोग के बारे में जानकारी नहीं होती और कई ऐसे लोग है जो की चर्म रोग से पीड़ित हुए है। लेकिन सभी को यह जानना बह...